"Mould" refers to microscopic fungi, usually black or white, that is sometimes found on food and moist surfaces.
Moisture is the main factor that causes mould to grow and spread. Mould releases into the air reproductive cells called "spores" that are so small you can inhale them. Breathing in large amounts of these spores can have a negative impact on your health.
To do this, an exterior air barrier – properly installed and sealed — is highly recommended.
There is a link between the degree of humidity inside a house, the presence of mould and health problems, such as:
Certain groups of people – mainly children and the elderly – are more vulnerable than others to mould.
If you think that mould could be affecting you or your family’s health, consult a professional at your health centre.